Saturday, February 11, 2012

Plaster, plaster!

We did a second coat of plaster on one of the bottle walls today (plastic bottles, that is). These walls were made as panels, and one side is already plastered, before they were erected, so we did the finish coat of plaster. It's funny, as plasterers- you figure you know what to do, and while that's true to a certain extent, there is still a lot of experimenting to do- the sand wasn't sifted finely enough in the beginning, for instance...and then, the pre-plastered walls were SUPER dry, so I spent several hours wetting them down.  The plaster went off super super quick (Jean-Louis told me that the cement we used isn't the preferable kind, so that is good information- another brand is better). Good information for next time! So, Jean-Louis applied plaster, and I alternated between wetting the walls down ahead of him and sponging after he had put the plaster on, as there was NO way to smooth the plaster once it was trowelled on. I'm not sure why I didn't post this from the other day, but will do so now, along with a photo of the finished building- while I was away in Deslandes, Annio & Jean-Louis finished the plaster on the walls (well, there's a base coat of earth on the interior & clay/straw walls), and Andy painted it. It looks really, really sweet! And I mean sweet in the...sweetest of ways!
Jean Louis & Annio- Jean Louis said that Annio is his best friend!
Andy painting
I love the louvres and the two rooflines on this building





No comments:

Post a Comment