Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Movie night in Deslandes


February 18, 2012
Deslandes, Haiti





Movie screen set up using plywood and a sheet


Tonight was the most magical night…maybe the most magical night of my life. Jim & Adriana (Of Tierra y Cal) had a movie night, and they showed Wally (Wall-ee?). 
The movie!

After at least an hour of problem solving (getting the generator going, and all of the projectors talking to one another), they were up and rolling, without sound (well, there was sound through a small set of speakers). I sat with Mimi on my lap, Mischli lying across my lap asleep, and Dine lying on top of Mischli- I was in heaven, and cried a few tears of…I don’t know exactly what emotion as these precious young beings clung on to me- I was joyful and sad all at the same time. The kids laughed heartily at the appropriate times, despite not being able to hear the soundtrack- animation is a beautiful thing!

Captive audience, all ages

I just went out into the field on my own (at 10:15pm) and I can hear another voodoo ceremony drumming across the fields, crickets singing, and a few roosters crowing. All is well as I get myself ready for bed on this Saturday night in Deslandes.

No comments:

Post a Comment