Sunday, February 19, 2012

My group has arrived

The Endeavour Centre group arrived on the 8th- and so far, they've integrated themselves quite wonderfully into the world here at HC. They are energetic, resourceful, and fun- and I really look forward to introducing them to Deslandes. They jumped into projects here for the few days we were here, such as painting, plastering, building a new hen house, building a washing station, and helping do a container conversion. They rock!

We're sitting here on the front porch on a sweltering hot day, waiting for our ride to get here. They're an hour late so far...so when I finally reached them, they explained that they've been driving around the city looking for gas- there's a gas shortage on in the country. Hmmm, maybe not the best day to drive to the beach and then on to Deslandes? They feel confident that they'll find some, so I suppose I'll trust that. Gas shortages happen pretty regularly here in Haiti, and then the black market emerges- people sell gas at the side of the road, sometimes with water added to make it stretch further (eeek!). A wee bit of political strife happening in the city, and the gas shortage may mean we stay close to the base here. Makes my job easier!

Looking forward to getting to Deslandes, though- I'm craving the village life already!




No comments:

Post a Comment