Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 17, 2012: Deslandes on a Friday night


Friday nights are party nights here in Deslandes- the generator is running, and my Haitian friends are in the dining hall across the road, playing dominoes and sipping Babancourt rum, which is more tasty (and pricey) than Baccara, the rum I have been accustomed to drinking here.

The mood is festive, and here across the road from the dining hall, sits our crew outside in the courtyard, enjoying banter about this & that, and having sampled some of the fine rum ourselves.

We’re pretty pleased with our work and progress to date- the block walls in the washroom stalls are now done, and we’re ready to put a coat of plaster on the exterior of the building. We also painted a couple of coats of ‘experimental’ paint- nopale cactus juice, water, and pigment. We did two coats with the yellow iron oxide, and it looks SO much better already!

I am loving seeing our group interact with the kids- that was my big draw to this community, and I’m tickled to see each of our gang connect in really meaningful ways with the kids of this community.

This remains a special place for me, and my bond to the community grows deeper each time I come here, and with my developing language skills, I continue to be able to forge more profound relationships with people.

Life is simple here- quite simply! When you have limited resources, and ittle electricity, you find other means of entertainment. The most common is sitting around talking, playing cards, or dominoes. Occasionally, we play live music, and then there is dancing and merriment to beat the band. I love the naivety of our time here, and the simplicity of our interactions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment