Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dead Goat Laundry

We have finished our stint in Deslandes- at least, the group has. I will return after they fly out to paint an aliz coat on the building, followed by a protective glue & water coat. We ate extremely well when in Deslandes- fresh fruit, bread, freshly made peanut butter, bread, and on good days, freshly squeezed lemon or grapefruit juice.

Lunches were always a hot pot of some sort- a stew, or 'mayi' (hot cornmeal with veggies), and dinners (my favourite) included fried plantains, picklese (spicey cabbage salad), sometimes fries, often rice, some sort of meat dish with sauce (or fish, or sometimes fried chicken). In any case, you get the picture- eating locally produced, fresh food daily. Benitta works hard along with Madame Alien to feed us. It was all going swimmingly well until Dave & Paul saw them kill a goat in the backyard- apparently with a very dull knife. From there, all of our lunches & dinners included goat- and all goat parts. It got to the point where things were just too goaty- so I had to gently ask Benitta (put a positive spin on things!) if we could have chicken for dinner again- that we LOVE her fried chicken (true, true!). I also mentioned that Canadians aren't really used to eating goat, but that I LOVED it (a bit of a white lie, but I was trying not to hurt her feelings. When I go back, I might have to pay for that lie- she may serve me up goat entrails as a specialty!).

In any case, the day after the real goaty meal, Paul & I were doing laundry in Benitta's backyard. It smelled too goaty, so we moved over into our own backyard to finish the laundry. We realised that we could still smell goat...and then made the realisation that the tubs we were washing our clothes in had likely been used for....goat. I admit, I'm not a fan of the smell. But I persisted and finished my laundry- left it flapping in the breeze for an extra day, just because I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment