Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wake up calls


I awoke to the sounds of loud chanting, shouting, and a lot of honking, somewhere around 5 or 5:30am…all of a sudden the city just came alive. I wasn’t sure if something was going on, but when I got up 15 minutes later, it was…traffic sounds as usual. I guess this city just wakes up all of a sudden, with a big bang!

I started my day by exploring the back yard. I had been told about the shower stalls, but hadn’t ventured back there yet (I know, 4 days later and no shower? facecloth washing has been fine!). I also noticed that it seems to be the clothes washing station, so I gathered a few dirty items and washed my articles by hand…using a bamboo washboard. Tooooooo cool. I wonder how it sounds for percussion?!

My friend, Ospri, told us about a really cool roofing system (at least for porch awnings) that he saw recently (I think from some Thai builders). You split bamboo in half, and then overlap the sections, alternating where the rounded part is, to end up with something resembling a tile roof. He said it works really well to shed water- I love it!

We got trusses up yesterday in a fairly slow process- the actual truss erection was relatively fast, but preparation of blocking, tweaking the top plate, etc. took time.
Today we’ll hopefully get the purlins up, but there are a few rafters to put up first,  I think. The trusses are full dimension 2x4”, really beefy, on 4 foot centres! Apparently the purlin stock is beefy too, so hopefully that’s enough support for the rather thin gauge roofing.

I’m really enjoying working with Jean-Louis & Annio, and am seeking out their strengths, and having a lot of fun with them. My creole is inching along, bit by bit.

Oh yeah, as I went to go to bed last night, as I was walking close to the school bus, I saw a glow, and heard a funny noise- there were some people fire dancing to music- it was so beautiful to watch!
         Showering & clothes washing area; no running water; you fill a bucket with water, and voila!
                                                          Many hands on the first truss!

No comments:

Post a Comment