Saturday, December 25, 2010

Joyeux joyeux!



I just spent my first waking hour of Christmas Day with a goat…and his owner, who is probably one of the wackiest human beings alive (and I mean that in a good way, bien sur!). Ton bought Henk Hank Bolgrun, the goat, for $30 US and brought him back to the compound, to ‘fatten him up’ for eventual consumption. He is dearly loved, and will likely have a happier life than many other animals in the world.

Last night we went out to a Haitian club- but first, since it was Christmas Eve, and that is the big celebratory night in Haiti, the public tap-taps (remember them from the photos?) weren’t running, so we had to phone around to find a private one. One price we got was $100 US to take us downtown, wait for the night, and bring us back, and the next price was $50, which we went for, as when it was split 10 ways, it worked out not too badly.
 Here is Ton, at his finest, starting X-mas morning off with coffee with a shot of rum in it (a liberal shot, let's say!), a beer, and some cigarettes. Henk Hank is lurking in the background.






The club was packed, and I mean PACKED with people (um, almost exclusively Haitian, except for us blancs!). We smuggled in several pints of cheap rum, and danced our faces off. People were dressed for the nines, somewhat like people might do for New Years at home (but I’m thinking that Haitians probably dress up to go clubbing more than my circle of friends does- no offense, y’all!). A few different Haitian men asked me to dance, and the looks I got on the dance floor were priceless. I laughed and made gestures, and moved the way I move, and it all worked out fine. (I think I had too many moves; the Haitians are much more subtle with their groovy moves!).

One move that wasn’t particularly groovy, but that actually made my jaw drop, was during my second trip to the washroom in the club. The first time, there wasn’t a line up, and there was still toilet paper. The second time, there was definitely a line up, and lo & behold, when I got in the door, there were 4 or 5 women squatting on the ground in the sink area, peeing on the floor. I kid you not! I was really glad I had opted to wear my workboots & not my sandals in the end. Another woman in the bar saw my shocked expression and patted me on the arm with a shared giggle. Now I feel like I’ve just about seen everything, but that image will stay with me for a loooooooooonnnnnnng time!

So, late night followed by a tap-tap ride back to another NGO down the road, where we were able to purchase one last beer and walk the last leg of the trip home. Now, I have to remind myself why I didn’t tell my Haitian crew that today was a day off…they opted to take yesterday off, but apparently are coming today! Oh well, I am here to work afterall!

Later today, we’re going back to the other NGO (EDV: European Disaster Volunteers) for a celebratory meal, which I look forward to. Those folks came out dancing with us last night, and they’re a lot of fun. They live in a real house with plumbing and everything!

Yesterday, Joanne, our cook, had her eyebrows trimmed in the courtyard, by one of the security guards, using a razer blade. Holy hannah- not for me!


Ooops, sorry Henk Hank, that's Bulgren
There was just a sound check outside for a sermon down the road- funny! And music is, as always, blaring from several radios outside, both here and down the road.
A rooster hopped over the fence this morning, as he has for the past several days, to wake me up before 6 am. Darn- going to bed at 3am wasn’t such a good plan, perhaps, if I’m working with my boys today!

The sermon has started next door, complete with singing- The sermon part has finished, and now she is singing her face off. Good morning. Joyeux joyeux!

No comments:

Post a Comment