Monday, December 13, 2010


I’m en route to Haiti, after a 50 minute delay this morning due to snow, de-icing the plane, etc. I still don’t know what they spray on the wings, but it’s quite a procedure!

I managed to find 4 seats (bench-like) to sprawl out on last night, and I actually slept bits & pieces, to my surprise. Not the more comfortable bed, or the deepest sleep, but I surprised myself by actually sleeping!

I was helping Fréda and her mother this morning at the check-in line, and at some point I realized that I no longer had my phone. I went to the lost & found, to the air transat desk, but no phone. The security guys were super helpful- every time I saw them after my initial plea for help, they asked if I had found it yet, and offered other helpful suggestions to retrieve the phone. I was impressed by their interest, and that they even remembered me- they must get so many requests for help! So, I called Rogers to put my phone service on hold, and will be without phone in Haiti (which isn’t a terrible thing, given the price of overseas phone time). I guess I’ll be temporarily without phone once I get back home again too.

More turbulence, but my tummy is doing alright. Forgot to take gravol, or bring a gingerale onto the plane. They’ll sell me one, but you can only pay by credit card, so on principal, I’m not buying into their crazy scam.

Reading and napping, if turbulence will allow for it.

OK, so wonderful flight- champagne for breakfast and everything (why not, eh?!). I hadn’t ever seen a topographical map of Haiti, so didn’t know what to expect, but when landing, saw lots of mountains (albeit small), and as we got closer to the gridlines, saw some damaged buildings from the earthquake, and  many, many tent cities. Arriving at the airport was uneventful (except for the face that I was still wearing long johns and sweating to death!), and luggage retrieval took close to an hour- there was a lot of luggage on that plane. I hooked up with Fréda and Mme Clements one last time, and then went outdoors to meet my ride. I wanted to kiss the ground, I was so pleased to finally be here! Eyes wide open to the crazy overcrowded sketchy vehicles driving by, while admiring banana plants amongst the rubble. Exciting to be here! Can't add photos at this time, server too slow, but did get Fréda and her mom at airport, but will load later. We're about to get going working, so off i go!

No comments:

Post a Comment