Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kid power

I wanted to dedicate an entry to the kids of Haiti- they brought us such joy, and so much fun while we were there. I can’t believe the age at which kids are expected to pitch in with chores- be it carrying water, hanging up laundry, or cooking dinner. There was no shortage of volunteers on our jobsite- from kids! No adults, but lots of kids. As I mentioned before, they weren’t keen on getting dirty- this is a culture to whom cleanliness is incredibly important. The kids of Haiti brought me tremendous joy, and I learned a lot from them on our excursions, talking on the playground, and on the jobsite. To them, I give a big thank you, for enriching my life as much as they have.



                                              


 
What a beautiful smile!

Here is our partially built washroom facility-that is bamboo leaves & clay slip. I'll dedicate a section to the wall system soon, soon!

So sweet!





Dancing, singing- such creative kids!

The kids, trekking home with the bamboo leaves

Sweeping the leaves was a daily chore in our yard; the only thing is, they didn't collect the leaves or compost them, so they would just blow all over the yard again the next day!

The kids, hanging up the laundry on the cacti

Ever helpful kids, bringing in lumber to start framing the walls

Ian supervising the shovelling!

The endless water carrying duties, done mostly by women and children

Mimi was afraid of this blanc in the beginning, but I persisted, until she was comfortable with me pecking her on the cheek, and eventually, carrying her. One night, I sang to her in Gaelic and she fell asleep on me...sighhhhh!

A group of kids in the nursery, planting seeds

Mimi encore- what a darling!

Hermano was a natural on the jobsite. He wasn't going to school when we first arrived, but I spoke with Ospri, and a couple of days later, he was at school, and seemed quite proud of that!

More shovellers!

Measuring plastic for the sill plates

More kids wanting to use the drill!

Remember the fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment