Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A hasty departure!

 
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Verrettes, Haiti
5:43am

Back in Verrettes after a rushed decision to come here. It worked out best for Ospri and crew to have us leave Deslandes near noon yesterday, which dictated how much work we could do (or how little). We were able to lay out the 8 toilet chambers in the structure, and do some site clean-up, and beyond that, it was packing our belongings. I went to as many classes as possible to tell the kids that we were going- and everyone we told, absolutely everyone, asked when we were coming back. I know we made a big impact on many of the kids- we spent time explaining our work to them, playing with them, and just being with them- I think that was huge to them.

We found out yesterday morning that the election results would be announced later in the day- which got Ian very nervous, with the possibility of street riots and airport closing again. I didn’t give it much thought, in part, because it’s out of my hands, and in part because it truly doesn’t make a huge difference to me if the return is delayed by a day or two, since I have a safe place to stay at Grassroots, which is just down the road from the airport.

Of course, I had the same reaction from any adult I told I was leaving. It is touching, but truly, it feels like it’s time to go home now.

To get across the river, we were going take turns with the moto, but alas, when it came back for me, the tire was completely flat (inner tube leak), and so I set off walking. It was yet again a hot day, and I had my two packs plus the tool bag to carry- I was quite happy to reach the river’s edge and wait in the shade for the boat to ferry us across. Once in Verrettes, Ospri et al. were going to a meeting in a different part of Deslandes (I learned that Deslandes is actually the name of the region, like a county)- Petite Riviere de l’Artibonite. It is an older town- with an emperor’s palace dating back to 1806. The architecture was terrific, so I went a bit crazy taking shots of various interesting (to me) buildings. It was a delightful afternoon.

When we got back, there was a big hoop-la outside the gates, so we ran out to see what was going on (assuming that it was election related)- and indeed, people were shouting and dancing in the streets- with the knowledge that Martelly has been elected. It was quite a celebration- so, now Haiti has a leader with zero political experience- and the people (that we have seen thus far) are thrilled. Maybe when you have been so beaten, even before the earthquake, and have had deception after deception, you vote for the person who is the most entertaining, who might offer hope through music and dance. I find myself wanting to learn more and more about the history of Haiti.

So, today is the last full day in Haiti- my flight leaves tomorrow morning at 9am, which means being at the airport by 7am at the latest. I have had a full and fulfilling stay here, rich with so many stories, memories, and laughs. I will carry the spirit of kindness that I encountered from all of these people with me, the generosity and sheer joy that I was privy to. And so, I brace for a  gentle re-entry into life at home, slowly, ever so slowly, to help adapt to a really different way of life. The spoiled life of turning on a tap for running water, having clean air to breathe, ample food to eat, and a large house to live in- all of this will take time to get used to once again. I won’t soon forget my time in Haiti, and am curious to see how I adapt to being home again.


No comments:

Post a Comment