Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Deslandes again

It seems that some of my posts that I thought I had previously published didn't actually get posted, so I'm going to upload a number of older posts; I have had very unreliable internet connections since going to Deslandes (zero connections in Deslandes, and some spotty connections in Verrettes).

Here goes old post number one.


Friday, March 25, 2011
Deslandes, Haiti

I am back in Deslandes, where I can once again breathe clean(er) air- there aren’t constant burning smells, but still, occasional garbage burning.

Ian Thomson, fellow Canadian, friend, and killer woodworker, arrived on Wednesday to what was a perfect introduction to Haiti. Our ride, from St. Geste & Jean Baptiste, had been waiting at the airport since 10am, for another friend of Ospri’s. Ian’s flight arrived on time at around 1:30, and the boys decided to take us to GrassRoots where we could relax, while they returned to the airport to wait for Mabi. They didn’t really know what time Mabi would arrive, or what airline she had flown with- they had very little definite information, apart from the fact that she was flying in from California. So, we went to GrassRoots, which was great, as we got to tour the various buildings, and then at some point, St. Geste & Jean Baptiste came in, saying that Mabi hadn’t arrived after all. They had spent an entire DAY at the airport, in extreme heat, and she didn’t arrive!

So, then our hair-raising drive to Verrettes. It seemed like a regular trip to me, but I’m certain Ian thought he was going to done for a couple of times. People passing on every side, driving the wrong way down the road- the regular driving habits here.

We passed by several forest fires in the mountains (which of course, Ian, as a fire fighter, noticed first!), and then, it was heart-wrenching to see his reaction as we passed by a fire that was right beside the road- he said that back in Canada, three vehicles would have already stopped to help out there, but we kept on rolling, of course, as did everyone else. Actually, as an aside, I saw my first firetruck since coming to Haiti as I was waiting for Ian to arrive- it was a giant truck, with black smoke belching out of it, and an engine that sounded like it could kak out at any point in time!

Then, we thought we were coming to Deslandes that night, but Jean Baptiste was tired, so he decided we would just go to Verrettes, as it was closer. The problem is, his cousin had the house key, so he dropped us off at a bar and he went to get the key. Ian was tired, so when Jean Baptiste returned, I suggested he take Ian home and get him tucked in, and then he could return and we would order dinner. A few minutes later, they both arrived back at the restaurant…exclaiming that there weren’t any beds in Verrettes. Jean Baptiste had somehow forgotten that the beds had been brought to Deslandes, in anticipation of all of the guests who were coming in. Oh boy! So, Jean Baptiste suggested we go to his cousin Tina’s, and sleep there. He took Ian, and I stayed at the bar, waiting for dinner to arrive. After we ate, and got to Tina’s, Ian’s room had just been readied, but Tina told me I would have to wait for a few minutes for her to fix up my room. Ian & I hung out in his room, and I’m sure we chatted for at least 30 minutes or so…and at 11:15, Ian went to sleep…and my room wasn’t ready until 1:00am! I was soooooooo tired. And as these things go, Jean Bap woke us up at 6am, saying we had to go. So, very little sleep that night.

We made it to Deslandes, got the lay of the land, and I had some really nice cuddles & welcomes from my sweet little friends here. Ian & I planned out the washroom, but somehow didn’t get to working on it, apart from staking it out. It was extremely hot, so we went to sit under a shady tree. Some of my wee friends found me, and came and sat with me, wanting to hold my hand and cuddle. Oh, fill me, fill me! That was such a nice welcome!

Today was much more productive, although it was as hot as yesterday. We dug out the trench, along with Ionel, a local fellow. The trench is now filled with gravel, and we got the earth bags leveled & filled as well- so that feels good. Onward with a poured bond beam, and then the larson trusses. Looking forward to it!

Ospri, Mike, Mabi et al. are arriving tonight. It turns out that Mabi  arrived today, and not yesterday in the end. So, look forward to seeing the gang, and to making more progress on the washroom. 

Who is that blanc? Is he EVER blanc!

Ian, crossing the Artibonite River.

We had many willing volunteers on the jobsite- all under the age of 16!!!

A lovely house on the way into Deslandes. We hiked in a different way from previously.

The kids took to Ian quickly- he had lots of tricks, from juggling to whistling to playing with sticks. They seemed fascinated with his nose...

This large tree is on the field by the cemetary. Unfortunately, while we were sitting under the shade of this lovely tree, a funeral procession arrived at the cemetary, carrying a very tiny casket...

No comments:

Post a Comment