Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Home, at my other sweet home


And so, I’m home once again- and have taken a few days to really just ‘be’ here. I am doing a slow re-entry into my life here, which has so far included doing one presentation at a green fair, and two dinners with good friends. Not too bad!

Good friend Jim picked me up at the airport, with chips in hand- just what I was craving! It was nice to be picked up by a familiar face, and when he dropped me off at home, it was to a nice warm house (my neighbour had been by to get the woodstove going- so sweet!). Karen had dropped off a goody-basket of essentials, including a delicious French cheese, a bottle of wine, some fruit, and coffee for the morning- so thoughtful, so perfect!

I feel really fortunate in the many many homes I have in my life. Today, a friend from GrassRoots posted this song on his page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzV2mLWSNAU

I wrote about this song while I was in Haiti- it played on the radio stations there at least a few times an hour, or so it seemed- no one ever got sick of it! I felt nostalgic listening to it today, and intend on incorporating it into my daily listening repertoire. (Thanks, Nic, for the posting!).  And it’s true- I DO love my life! Whether I’m in Port au Prince, Deslandes, Warsaw (Ontario), or Wakefield (Quebec), I feel pretty privileged to have such good people, and such amazing opportunities and environments in my everyday life.

Now that I’m back home, I am slowly getting geared up to get this year’s work season organized.  A part of me will continue to think of Haiti- of the kids, of the amazing people, of the fundraising I would like to do, of the volunteering I hope to continue.

I still don’t feel like I’m in culture shock, as many people have asked me; I am changed from my experience in Haiti, for sure, but I change with every experience in my life. I learned a lot in Haiti- about patience, acceptance, joy, resilience, and life. I was fortunate enough to meet extremely generous Haitians, in addition to some wonderful international volunteers. 

Of course, I don’t for a second forget how privileged I am, with running water (both cold and hot), a big house on a river that is all mine (actually, I share it with the bank), a quiet neighbourhood, clean air (I haven’t once smelled burning plastic since I’ve been back!), a big truck that is in relatively good condition, good health and free healthcare (at least for now!), forests, clean waterways, and space. That’s not even mentioning all of the people I have in my life, of course, but that goes without saying.

I can only hope that Martelly is able to do what he has campaigned he will do in Haiti, and that is to procure land to rebuild permanent homes for the Haitians who are still living in camps, and to work on improving agriculture. 

In reflecting on my time in Haiti, the lasting impression is one of beauty and hope, despite the images of garbage, choked waterways, tent cities, and lack of toilets. Having spent time with Haitians in the countryside, so lush with tropical fruit, and filled with song and joy, filled me with a sense of hope. As Ramon (the very astute boy who helped us collect bamboo leaves for our washroom building) said, Haitians are rich. They are rich in story telling, in song, in joy. I hope I can incorporate that more relaxed, slower pace of life I experienced (and after awhile, both accepted and embraced) into my sometimes hectic, stressful pace of life in Canada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment