Sunday, February 20, 2011

Haiti Time

I'm waiting for Jean Baptiste to come collect me for our journey- so far, he's only an hour late. Haiti time, I'm relaxed about it. It means I can start this post- maybe even finish it!

I woke up at 5am this morning- lots of dogs barking and the regular all night roosters, but Sundays church gets started really early. They have sound systems, and I think they started shortly past 5 today. It will continue until about 5pm tonight. I'm sure I mentioned before how dressed up people get for church- it is a really big deal.

We had a wrap-up meeting with our crew yesterday morning. (The day after our big party). Annio was perhaps still a wee bit tipsy at the meeting, and was quite animated. They are really proud of their work- and so they should be. The idea is that when Andy or Martin find other projects, they will continue to hire our trio, to give them more on the job training, with the goal of them at some point branching off and building on their own. They are quite tickled by that prospect. It has been really wonderful working alongside these guys. Jean Louis, in particular, thrives in being complemented for his efforts- the grin goes from ear to ear when you tell him you like something that he has done!

People here seem to love having their photo taken, and then seeing it on the digital screen. I find it curious that when you take a photo, they then thank you for taking it- interesting!

Annio asked me if I would print a photo of the house for him- I think I'll do a book for each of the guys, of photos of the building process.




It was great to work alongside Andy & Mark as well- especially Andy, given that up until this time, we've only managed to have about half of a day of overlap before one of us took off.

Our motley crew: Samuel, Mark, Annio, Andy, Jean Louis, et moi



The straw house is piquing the interest of many, and I don't think it will be long before another project takes off. In the meantime, I'll go back to Deslandes to plaster the earth block building with the crew there, and continue to work with my Canadian team on the composting toilet facility we'll build later in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment