Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Miam, miam

Oops, forgot to post this from a couple of days ago:

Today's breakfast rocks- boiled eggs, fresh white buns (there's only white bread available here, unless you shop at an expensive American type grocery store- where you can get loaves of whole wheat bread that's rather crumbly, and not really worth it!), sliced tomatoes, real butter, and a foil wrapped wedge of processed 'cheese' that is similar to La Vache qui Rit, if you know it. Cheese is rare in Haiti- Haitians don't tend to eat it, so therefore, it's quite expensive. I'm going to savour this darned processed cheese triangle like there's no tomorrow. Wait, there is a tomorrow, and I'll land in Montreal, hopefully to a good bottle of red wine, real cheese, and good bread. Oh, and of course, to some love!

Yesterday's breakfast was delicious, albeit strange. French fries (home made, of course- they were yummy) with...boiled beats. Never would have put the two together, certainly not for breakfast, but it was killer! There is now another cook who works alongside Joanne here, and the menu has changed a bit- I think he is a chef, and so we have noticed little changes- subtle changes in flavours, nicer presentation on the plates, and a bit more variety. I haven't seen spaghetti with hot dogs & salt fish at all this time (whew!).

I must say I look forward to being home, to being able to eat when I'm hungry (so privileged, I know!), and having a few more vegetables thrown into the mix. I have eaten well here, though, for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Hi again. Just left a post with a question on contact.
    Now I am reading about the straw bale houses! I have a friend, long a go, who was building these in Vermont. I would LOVE to talk to you.
    Could you please tell mow to contact you? I have many, many questions. Leving for Haiti, umpty-eth time, in a few weeks.
    Hope to hear from you! Marianne Kuiper Milks
    onebigboost@gmail.com www.onebigbost.org
    570 226 6888

    ReplyDelete